Six Toxic Ingredients:
1. Parabens: Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Formaldehyde
Synethetic preservatives used in almost every skin care product.
- May potentially increase risk of breast cancer.
- May cause early puberty.
- Reduce sperm count in rats.
2. Petroleum Jelly (aka Petrolatum)
Hair and skin care products, baby products, and other cosmetics.
- Listed as a carcinogen by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- May potentially increase risk for breast cancer.
3. Sodium Laureth Sulfate/Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Used to disolve oil in makeup removers, facial cleansers and scrubs.
- Accumulates in organs where it interacts with other chemicals.
- SLS created depression, labored breathing, diarrhea and death in rats.
- Connected to skin and eye irritation, organ toxicity, developmental and reproductive problems and potentially cancer.
4. PEG-30 (dipolydrydoxystearate) PEG-120 (Methyl Glucose Dioleate)
Used in skin care products as thickeners and stabalizers, and to help dissolve oil on skin.
- Not much research has been done on these chemicals.
- May increase risk for uterine and breast cancers.
5. DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine)
Creates lather in facial cleansers, scrubs & beauty bars.
- An FDA study concluded that DEA-based detergents can greatly increase risk of liver and kidney cancer.
- The WHO lists DEA as a carcinogen.
- Europe prohivits DEA for inhibiting brain development.
6. ARTIFICAL FRAGRANCES
Fresh smelling products sell better.
- "fragance" can be created from 4000 ingredients
- The USNIOSH identifies 884 of 2,983 tested fragrance chemicals as toxic.
- Can affect central nervous system, leading to depression, hyperactivity, irritability, and other behavioral issues.